CONSTITUTION OF THE REPUBLIC OF ARMENIA
The Armenian People, recognizing as a basis the fundamental
principles of Armenian statehood and the national aspirations engraved
in the Declaration of Independence of Armenia, having fulfilled the sacred
message of its freedom-loving ancestors for the restoration of the sovereign
state, committed to the strengthening and prosperity of the fatherland,
in order to ensure the freedom, general well being and civic harmony of
future generations, declaring their faithfulness to universal values,
hereby adopts the Constitution of the Republic of Armenia.
THE FOUNDATIONS OF CONSTITUTIONAL ORDER
The Republic of Armenia is a sovereign, democratic state, based on social
justice and the rule of law.
1. In the Republic of Armenia power lies with the people.
2. The people exercise their power through free elections and referenda,
as well as through state and local self-government bodies and officials
prescribed by the Constitution.
3. The usurpation of power by any organization or individual constitutes
1. In the Republic of Armenia the human being, his/her dignity and fundamental
rights and freedoms are an ultimate value.
2. The chief mission of the state is the creation of necessary conditions
for the fundamental rights and freedoms of the human and the citizen and
the ensuring of their implementation.
3. The fundamental human rights and freedoms predetermine the meaning
and content of laws, the activities of the executive power and local self-government
and are secured by justice.
The elections of the Parliament and the self-government bodies of the
communities, as well as referenda, shall be held based on the right to
free, universal, equal and direct suffrage by secret ballot.
1. State power shall be exercised based on the separation of the legislative,
executive and judicial powers, their mutual checks and restraints.
2. State and local self-government bodies and officials are competent
to perform only such acts, for which they are authorized by the Constitution
1. In the Republic of Armenia political and ideological pluralism and
multipartyism is guaranteed.
2. No ideology may be recognized as state or mandatory.
3. The State creates necessary conditions for the free competition of
political forces, which is guaranteed by the legislative recognition,
enshrining and protection of the political rights and freedoms of citizens.
4. The parties are formed and act freely. They contribute to the formation,
expression and implementation of the political will of the people.
5. Equal conditions for free activity are guaranteed for the parties.
6. The objectives and activities of the parties may not contravene the
foundations of Constitutional order, nor may their structure and practice
contradict the principles of democracy.
7. The parties shall publish annual reports on the sources of their financing
1. The supremacy of lawful law is guaranteed in the Republic of Armenia.
2. The Constitution of the Republic of Armenia has supreme juridical force
and its norms are applicable directly. Laws found to contradict the Constitution
as well as other legal acts found to contradict the Constitution and the
laws have no juridical force.
3. Laws, and other normative legal acts touching on human rights, freedoms
and duties, take effect only after their official promulgation.
4. The commonly recognized norms of international law are the constituent
part of the legal system of the Republic of Armenia. They have supremacy
over the laws.
5. International treaties that have been ratified by the Republic of Armenia
are a constituent part of the legal system of the Republic.
6. International treaties that contradict the Constitution may be ratified
only after making corresponding amendments to the Constitution.
7. International treaties containing norms not contradicting the Constitution
but contradicting laws shall be presented for ratification in one package
with the draft laws, which provide for making amendments and supplements
in the acting laws in compliance with the norms of the treaties being
8. The law may authorize the Government and the Ministries to adopt normative
acts concerning the activities of physical and legal persons, by defining
the contents, purpose and scope of authority of those bodies.
The basis of the economic order of the Republic of Armenia is the social
market economy based on free economic competition, and solidarity, dialogue
and cooperation between social partners.
Local self-government is recognized and guaranteed in the Republic of
1. The Republic of Armenia runs a policy for the developing and strengthening
of multifaceted linkages with the Diaspora, the main objective of which
is the preservation of the Armenian identity.
2. The Republic of Armenia supports repatriation.
3. Every one of Armenian ethnicity acquires citizenship of the Republic
of Armenia from the moment of establishing permanent residence in the
Republic of Armenia.
The Republic of Armenia, within the scope of the norms of international
law, supports the preservation of Armenian historical and cultural values
located in other countries, assists the development of Armenian educational
and cultural life.
1. The state language of the Republic of Armenia is Armenian.
2. The flag of the Republic of Armenia is tricolor, with red, blue and
orange equal horizontal stripes.
3. The coat of arms and the national anthem of the Republic of Armenia
are defined by law.
4. The capital of the Republic of Armenia is Yerevan.